Australian Richie Porte claimed the Criterium du Dauphine’s yellow jersey after Friday’s sixth stage won by Denmark’s Jakob Fuglsang.
Astana rider Fuglsang, 32, crossed the line in a photo-finish with Porte and defending champion Chris Froome at the end of the 147.5km stage.
Porte now has a 39-second lead over Froome in the general classification.
The leader after stage five, Belgium’s Thomas de Gendt, lost over eight minutes and is now 30th overall.
Fugsang said: “There has been a lot of bad luck for our team this year, but finally everything seems to come together. We start to be competitive.
“Luckily it is at the right time just before the Tour de France.”
The race continues in the mountains for the final two days. The Tour de France starts on 1 July.
Stage six results:
1. Jakob Fuglsang (Den/Astana) 4hrs 41mins 48secs
2. Richie Porte (Aus/BMC Racing) same time
3. Chris Froome (GB/Team Sky)
4. Fabio Aru (Ita/Astana)
5. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar) +50secs
Overall classification after stage six:
1. Richie Porte (Aus/BMC Racing) 20hrs 52mins 34secs
2. Chris Froome (GB/Team Sky) +39secs
3. Jakob Fuglsang (Den/Astana) +1min 15secs
4. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar) +1min 20secs
5. Fabio Aru (Ita/Astana) +1min 24secs
7. Daniel Martin (Ire/Quick-Step) +2min 14secs
12. Simon Yates (GB/Orica) +3min 16secs
29. Nicolas Roche (Ire/BMC Racing) +7min 41secs